Welcome down here. Proceed with caution

For Nerds, Geeks, Fight Fans & Lovers

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Watchmen Thoughts

Watchmen

I saw the trailer for the movie about three weeks ago and I just had to read the comic before the movie hit. Yes I know I'm late for the party so to speak. And on that note I have to share my thoughts on it.

Photobucket

I am thoroughly surprised by the depth in this comic and how the story, that's set in a alternative reality 1985 U.S.A. (for the most part), resonate with the world today.It is a great commetary on the state of the world. Sure it's set in a sort of bizzaro reality it could well be happening here. I feel this is the best comic I've read since I read Transmetropolitan! And both address the "What the fuck is going on in the world?" question.

I spent many hours getting though it, mostly because I stopped many a time to admire the art style and work. And the articles, anecdotes and essay style writings between the chapters made this a really different read than any other comic I've read in my life. And it's been a long time since I've been this enthralled by a story. I've litterally spent this weekend getting through it and put away everything else. 

This is a masterpiece! A must-read for anyone into reading. Actually this might turn you on to reading in general. 

My one worry for the movie is that it will fall sort of capuring the essence and depth of both the characters and the story. But having read the comic I'm really looking forward to watching it. Plus it's co written by David Hayter, the man who wrote X-Men and has the voice of Solid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games. So we'll see if he and his writing partner Alex Tse has the skills to bring this story to a movie form. And it's directed by Zach Snyder the man who did 300. I'll take a wait and see approach to the movie.

Now the comic has been polished up and put back in it's plastic protector and back into it's righfull place in my shelf. This is a comic I will take good care of.

1 comment:

  1. Well movies rarely live up to the comics. But with the director from 300; it just might. I'm really looking forward to watching it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments in English only!