Welcome down here. Proceed with caution

For Nerds, Geeks, Fight Fans & Lovers

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Decisions And Other News.

Been a while since my last entry. Been working, and the usual life stuff. 

I've made a decision last weekend. I am going to learn japanese! I'm just waiting on my paycheck so i can go ahead and buy the first two books on the japanese written language, Hiragana and Katakana. Later I'll study Kanji the third written type. I've gotten advice that starting to learn the written part first is a good place to start, and it does makes sense as if you can't read a language like japanese you will struggle in actually learning it properly. But I'll study it about an hour every day I think. (depending on energy level of course) and then get a hold of more study material as I progress.

I do have a goal of going to Japan (Tokyo) before I'm 40 (preferably 35) but that's not the main reason I want to learn the language. I have a love for anime and manga and as such I would like to not be depending on a)localized anime (you know with subtitles)/manga or b) fan translations. And if I know japanese I can just order straight form there anything I'd like to read/watch(or games I'd like to play but hate the english dub).

Hm.. Going to need a japanese keyboard soon don't I (that and the "font pack")? 

Plus japanese is to me a beautyful and awesome language! 

I've discovered a nice "new" anime via a music video on YouTube. Busou Renkin. I've seen a few episodes and I really like it and while it's a bit creepy in some areas it's a good anime. 

And this week I've seen Gedo Senki and Neko No Ongaeshi both movies from Studio Ghibli and both wonderful stories. 

I have started on Book 1 of Berserk. So far a rather brutal manga. still trying to get the story but I've just read two chapters so far. 

Yeah I'm rather immersed in this kind of thing right now. But it's all good! :-)

Other than this I'm playing a little and hanging out online. 

3 comments:

  1. you might also want to check out DeathNote (both the Manga and the Anime) which I have just recently gotten into (the anime...I loved the manga). I know you can get the anime in 2 volumes (I have the 2nd volume, 5 discs) so Volume 1 has to be out there somewhere....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could read and understand all things in their original language. Translations always suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you're getting a hobby as nice as learning a new language, and an oriental language has to be one of the smarter choices. According to what I've heard from my rather well-informed source, Japan is a very interesting country to go to, so go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments in English only!